Question
Posted by: Lindy | 2008/08/07

Weight gain

I' m 34 and I' m presently 11kg overweight, Almost my whole life I' ve struggling with weight but in January 2005 I joined sureslim I lost 18kg and stayed on my goal weight (64 kg) bust started regaining the weight in January this year after I suffered an ectopic pregnacy. I' ve gone back to my weight loss plan (only 3 meals per day, no snacking in between, 8 glasses of water per day, no sugar, no starch &  no fat except olive oil) but I keep on gaining, I also had to take some hormones to normalise my periods in April (Provera), periods are back to normal but it seems my system is not yet normal, I never liked sweets but I' m now craving them a lot, I sweat terribly at night, I' m not on any medication now as I' m trying to fall pregant and I would like to loose the excess weight. I do' nt go to gym but I used to walk in the afternnon and run up and down 15 stairs in the house every morning, I don' t have any energy anymore to do that because I dont' s see the results.

Dear Lindy
I would recommend that you go back to the dry or gynae who treated you for the ectopic pregnancy because from what you say it sounds as if you are suffering from a hormone imbalance (thyroid, insulin resistance or even female hormone imbalances). The dr will need to determine what is going on and provide the correct treatment (for example thyroid hormone is you have an underactive thyroid). If you should suffer from insulin resistance (IR) then it is important to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is a vital factor in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Do try and start going for a walk every day again - even if you walk very slowly because regular daily aerobic exercise for at least 30 min per day can also help you to improve your insulin and glucose levels.

3
Posted by: Mimi | 2008/08/22

I' m no expert, but your problem sounds hormonal . . . did you ask Sureslim to do another blood test to determine if this was the case? Did you go back to your doctor? Maybe there were other underlying problems. When you get to the root of the problem and your programme is adjusted, the weight should start coming off again. Keep the exercise as well!

Reply to Mimi
Posted by: Ang | 2008/08/07

i am no expert - but maybe you have a thiroid problem? i know my mom had to have hers out after her first pregnancy!!!

Reply to Ang
Posted by: Ang | 2008/08/07

maybe the hormones can also cuase water retention?

Reply to Ang