Question
Posted by: mummy | 2007/08/07

weight gain

I 'm a 24 year old lady, who need weight gain seriously. When I had my first baby on 26 July 2006 I thought that my weight will gain but it never. I'm 1.62 tall and weights 46 wear size 28(6). Please help me out. Would you please recommend some multivitamins and supplements, and something that will help me to gain. Please I'm begging. I'm not very please with my body. I have absolutely no stress, depression or what so ever. Just want to be fit.

Dear Mummy
Your present BMI = 17.6 which is far too low. It would be good id you could weigh 57 kg. If your metabolism is very fast, then it may be a good idea to have your gp check your thyroid function as an overactive thyroid can cause pronounced weight loss and prevent weight gain. Gaining weight is just as problematic as trying to lose it. Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Fresenius Kabi and Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone Fresenius on (011) 545-0000, or the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a meal supplement such as Fresubin, with or without fibre, at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week. Feedback from other Readers indicates that they have gained weight successfully with the use of meal supplements.