Question
Posted by: Weight gain | 2007/05/07

Weight gain

I would like to gain weight but I am lactose, wheat and gluten intolerant. I have been losing weight since I went on HRT in 2001 (on and off), I had a full physical last year to rule out any major medical problems including HIV, and came out 100% fit and healthy despite a little concern on my bone density and low cholesterol. I had not been eating red meat for the past 10 years but have since gone back on a red meat diet just to up my cholesterol and to increase weight. I also do yoga and go to teh gym three times a week for 30 minutes to build muscle. What else must I do to go back to my pre-hysterectomy weight which was normal.

Dear Weight Gain
I can imagine that you must be feeling frustrated that you cannot gain weight. Because of your lactose, wheat and gluten intolerances I must advise you to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to work out a high-energy diet for you that avoids the allergens and also improves your bone density. This type of diet must be worked out individually, so please do see the dietitian.