Question
Posted by: marlon | 2007/03/14

Weight gain

Hi there,
I'm a 25 year old male struggling to gain weight for almost since my teens.I am concidering buying Mass Gain from the pharmacy,will this help in any way.I'm the only one in the family besides my father who are thin.My 2 brother are all well build.I'm looking for some kind of diet to help me.Im about 1.85m and weighs round about 60/62 kg's and feel very aware of it.

Please help.

Dear Marlon
Your BMI is very low at 18,1 and I can imagine that it is frustrating to not be able to gain weight. If your metabolism is very fast, then it may be a good idea to have your gp check your thyroid function as an overactive thyroid can cause pronounced weight loss and prevent weight gain. Gaining weight is just as problematic as trying to lose it. Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Fresenius Kabi and Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone Fresenius on (011) 203-2000, or the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a meal supplement such as Fresubin, with or without fibre, at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week. You can certainly try the Mass Gain product to see if it will assist you, but remember to also increase your total energy intake.