Question
Posted by: V | 2007/03/09

Weight gain!!!!

Fitness Doc,

I joined a gym about 3yrs ago. Followed an eating plan and lost a lot of weight. I continued with my excercise and meal plan. But last year for some reason it did not seem to work anymore. I stared picking up weight again and now I am trying all sorts of new and different excercises to shke the weight again. I know I must be patient and give it some time, but its really frustrating!!!!! What can I do? I am planning to speak to one of the consultants at my gym to work out an excersise program for myself.

Hi V

It's difficult, if not impossible to say what it is for sure. It will require some investigative work on your part, because something has changed to cause weight gain. The plateau you reached is normal, that happens to most people, so it's quite normal. But to have then gained weight means that either you decreased your exercise or have begun to eat more than before.

The other thing that is not clear is whether you stopped for a while then started again, because then weight gain is quite normal, because you increase muscle mass. Also, it may be that your training is causing the problem because you are changing it around so much, and perhaps you have focused more on the weight training in the last few weeks? It's difficult to day. Another factor is your current weight - perhaps you actually don't have weight to lose anymore?

But I think that a talk with a consultant will help, and I'm curious to hear what is said. But my advice is that you should be aiming for cardio training and consistency is the key - you need to do that regularly and often, and just stick at it. But if you change things around a lot, then it can produce problems.

2
Posted by: V | 2007/03/14

Fitness Doc,

What would be my ideal weight compared to my height? I am 1.75m tall and weigh 75kg at the moment. The first time I lost all my weight I weighed 65 kg. I managed to maintain that for 3yrs, like I said. I felt good at that weight.

Reply to V
Posted by: V | 2007/03/12

Thanks fitness doc. I am seeing the consultant on Thursday and will find out what I can do. I am continuing with my cardio excersises. One thing I have noticed in the past is that my apetite has increased when I excersied so much. I can eat more and not even feel full. I am watching my portions and calorie intake now. Will keep you updated.

Reply to V