Question
Posted by: Lee | 2007/03/06

Weight gain

My sister is very thin. She is not anorexic or bulemic, she thinks she is way too skinny. She eats a lot, but only gains weight around her middle. What can she do to gain weight?

Dear Lee
Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Fresenius Kabi and Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone Fresenius on (011) 203-2000, or the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your sister's energy intake. Basically she needs to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much she eats at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to her regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If she uses a meal supplement such as Fresubin, with or without fibre, at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then she should gain 1 kg per week.