Question
Posted by: Linda | 2005/11/21

weight gain

Dear Doc, I am 48 and am battling to loose weight. I am following the weight watchers diet and try and walk 3 times a week, but am not losing weight at all. Could it be the Lipitor 20 I am taking for hight cholestrol, or the telfast for allergies. I am very healthy except for the odd sinus caused by allergies. I have had blood tests done and do not have a thyroid problem. Please Help!

Dear Linda
It does become more difficult to lose weight with increasing age. The medications you are taking should not cause weight gain or prevent weight loss. Did you also have your blood glucose and insulin levels checked when you went for the tests? If not, it may be a good idea to have these tested because insulin resistance can prevent weight loss. Go back to your dr and ask him/her to check these levels for you.