Question
Posted by: Hanlie | 2005/06/20

Weight gain

Have posted question on the 17th, but can not find it anywhere.
I have just suddenly started picking up weight, without any change in my routine, and have gone from 55 kg to 67 kg in about 4 months time. I do not lose any weight either despite cutting back on a lot of things. What could cause this weight gain and would could I do? Please advise

Dear Hanlie
Such rapid weight gain could be due to a wide variety of factors such as hormone imbalances (thyroid, insulin or female hormones), or depression. I would recommend that you consult your medical dr for an examination to identify the underlying cause and then proceed from there. If you are insulin resistant, then it is essential to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your insulin resistance and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based in foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes'. Ask your doctor what type of exercise you are allowed to do and get more active, e.g. start going for brisk walks for about 30 min every day.

2
Posted by: hanlie | 2005/06/22

Thank you so much for the replies and advise - will make an appointment this week still!

Reply to hanlie
Posted by: Dietitian | 2005/06/20

12 kg gain in 4 months is note worthy. This gain could've resulted from a number of things, most likely hormonal. I take it that by your statment "without any change in routine" that you have not recently started taking any new medications eg anti depressants as many medications can influence your weight. I would suggest visiting your GP

Reply to Dietitian