Question
Posted by: Dilligent | 2004/11/05

weight gain

I'm male 31y/o 1.8m tall and weigh(ed) 105kgs.
I was told by doctor too loose some extra kgs because of hypertension. I need to shed about 10kgs.
Its been 2 weeks now since I've started some exercise and eating healthier.
exercise is 3 times a week for 45mins each ( Stepping day 1, Boxercise day 2 and Yoga day 3 ) I feel much more energetic and flexible (loose) since I started exercising.
However, and here's my question, I'm PICKING up weight instead of Loosing . I now weight 106.5
Can anybody tell me what am I doing wrong. PLease

Dear Dilligent
You may be gaining muscle tissue which weighs more than fat tissue or you may inadvertently be eating more because of exercising. You can also try the DASH Diet which was developed to lower bp and should help with weight loss. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Food as medicine' and 'Hypertension' and get a copy of the DASH Diet.
Because your present BMI = 32,4 it is advisable that you lose weight. To get your BMI back into the normal range, e.g. 25, you would have to weigh 81 kg, but start off with those 10 kg, they will make the world of difference.
Keep up the good work with the exercise.