Question
Posted by: SeeSaw | 2004/09/30

Weight Fluctuation

Hi Doc and everyone else,

I am on Weigh Less, have lost 6kg so far and have to loose about 4kg to reach a BMI of 22. My problem, or question rather, is something that has puzzled me for a long time. My weight fluctuates a lot from week to week. If I am on a diet, such as Weigh Less, and eat nicely, I loose weight extremely quickly, as in 3-4kg a week, which is a lot considering I am not that overweight. On the other hand, if I am not that good a girl and eat sweets and junkfood and whatnot, I can gain 3-4kgs a week.

This is not normal Doc, what can cause this? I know my mother has problems with water retention, maybe I have some too? But I have always loved water and drink up to 2lt a day. Also, I have been suffering from a spastic colon for about 7 years now. Could that have something to do with it?

I would just like to know for once and for all why my weight gain/loss cannot be "normal", it always has to be either one of the extremes.

Thanks!!!!!!!

Dear SeeSaw
Weight can fluctuate by nearly 3 kg per day! from the morning to the evening. This is why we recommend that people using a slimming diet should only weight themselves once a week, otherwise they will go batty if they see that their weight has increased by a few kg in a day. It is normal to have such weight fluctuations depending on hormonal variations, water retention (caused by differences in food and fluid intake, as well as hormones and stress levels) amount of exercise, ambient temperature (you will lose more 'weight' via sweating in summer), etc. Excessive water intake (more than 3-4 cups a day) over and above your normal liquid intake can wash important minerals out of your body (calcium, magnesium, potassium and sodium) which can cause electrolyte imbalances which will in turn result in weight fluctuations. So be careful that you don't disturb your electrolyte balance by drinking too much water. Moderation is the key to good health.
Keep up the good work with your diet and consider doing some exercise to stabilise your weight loss.