Question
Posted by: Norma | 2004/11/10

Weight after pregnancy

Hi Doc,

My baby is 4 months now...... and I still have 10kg's to lose before I have my weight back. I just read the article on Overweight Moms......
I picked up 25kg's during my pregnancy, I had lots of water. I did not increase my diet and ate very healthy, also walked alot.
So.... why did I picked up so much weight, baby was 3.8kg's at birth. I'm 1.70m and weighed 62kg's before I was pregnant.

I still eat very healthy and try to do some exercise atleast 3times a week.

Why am I struggling to loose the last 10kg's?

Please help. This is really affecting my mental state, as I hate to be fat.......

Dear Norma
I must admit that even the international experts who spoke at the Obesity Congress, could not provide an explanation why some women gain more weight than others when they are pregnant and find it more difficult to lose this weight after the birth of their babies. The only solution is to allow yourself some time so that your body can adjust to the changes in hormones - stop stressing as stress hormones can also prevent weight loss. To lose weight need to basically change your lifestyle. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss' , ‘The right approach' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing your regular exercise. Because you are one of those mothers who are struggling to lose pregnancy weight, I would like to suggest that you increase your exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) to 30 minutes a day, so that you can stimulate your metabolism to return it its pre-pregnancy state.
Holding thumbs for you