Question
Posted by: Angie | 2007/12/11

Weight advice :)

I'm 1.63m and weigh 72kg.

At the beginning of the year I was 61kg. In other words I picked up over ten kilos without changing my eating plan of exercise routine.
The only two things that I can think of that changed is that I started using Nuzak when I got up to 69kg and that I tried working in more meat in my diet due to the fact that I was suffering from low blood pressure. Can protien be the cause of my weight gain? I eat the recommended 50g in the morning and 200g during the day.

I did have my thyroid tested and glocose levels are 4.5. The doctor doesn't have any additional advice and think it might just be part of my growing process. I'm 21.

Hope all this makes some sense.

Dear Angie
Your present BMI = 27,1 which is in the overweight category. Your BMI of 22,9 when you weighed 61 kg was much better. If you eat 250 g of protein a day, it could well be increasing your energy intake far above your requirement. Most proteins have a high fat and saturated fat content. The RDA for protein is only 50g per day, so you are eating 5 times more than is required! I would advise you to cut back drastically on your protein intake. To lose weight you need to basically change your lifestyle. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). Check with the dr if Nuzak can also cause weight gain.

1
Posted by: Y | 2007/12/12

Hi Angie,

Exactly the same happened to me a few years ago - only I picked up 20kgs with no change in diet/exercise regime. About a year later I was finally diagnosed with insulin resistance and polycystic ovary syndrome - two conditions which make it almost impossible to loose weight while at the same time changing one's body into a fat storage machine!

The doctor need to test your fasting insulin levels as well as your fasting glucose levels to determine whether or not you are insulin resistant. My glucose levels were also normal - like yours, but my insulin levels were about 4 times what it should be! And it is the extra insulin that causes the storage of excessive amounts of fat.

I'm now on medication (metformin) which at least stop me picking up any more weight - but after four years I've still not been able to loose the extra weight - and believe me I've tried every diet out there - including seeing a dietician specialising in the dietary control of these conditions.

But good luck - I hope the extra protein is your problem and not one of these "imbalanced hormones" problems like what I have.

Reply to Y