Posted by: Anon | 2009/03/23


It has been suggested that I try a supplement (like the one' s sportsmen use) as I have lost weight and muscle due to complications with a rare form of charcot marie tooth. I have swallowing problems and cannot swallow hard solids such as nuts, raw vegetables, apples etc... I have tried products like en sure and nest le but have not found them that helpful. I' m in my early 30' s and use a wheelchair. I wouldn' t use a supplement as a sole means of nutrition as I' m under weight but would like to add a supplement to the foods that I can still manage. Iron is constipating so I can' t choose a supplement with lots of that in it. I have no idea of what supplement to get and would very much like to add calories and energy to my diet as well as nutrients. Thank You.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageSports Nutrition


The starting point would be to calculate how many calories your body needs and how much weight you would want to increase then only would you start to advice a balanced diet around those calories – thus I would suggest that you visit a dietician to help you with that.

However, in the meantime you could increase your calorie intake from soups made with lots of veggies and legumes (barley & lentils) added plus some meat – you can liquidize it so that no chewing is necessary. You could also make healthy smoothies from milk, yoghurt and fruit – include one tablespoon of flax seed oil or hemp oil to it – recommendation is to take 2 tablespoons of these oils per day. Also take 2x 1000mg fish oil capsules at night.

Thus you do not need to take a supplement, but could get all the nutrition from the food you eat – and that includes the good fats that will also help to prevent constipation and increase your calorie intake.

Bottom line is you need to know how many calories to consume per day otherwise you will keep on blaming some product for not working – get some professional help with that – it will be worth the money!

Take care!

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.