Question
Posted by: Cat | 2008/01/16

Weight

Please help, I've always struggled with my weight and a couple of years ago i lost 15 kilo's and was almost at my goal weight i managed to maintain this weight for 2 years, i had my son who is now 3 yrs old and after he was born lost alot of weight, last year in the space of 2 months max i gained about 10 - 15 kilo's and i've had terrible probelms with my health, i've been diagnosed with Polycycstic Ovary Syndrome, i also get repeated Polyps on my colon, last year i had to have 3 scopes to have them removed (the last biopsy showed mild to moderate dysplasia). No matter what diet i do i just cannot lose weight unless i starve myself? I'm 28 years old and i need to lose +- 25 kilo's?

Look forward to hearing from you

Thx,
C

Dear Cat
I can understand that you feel desperate about this weight problem. Because you have both PCOS (which is usually associated with insulin resistance (IR)) and colon dysplasia, it is essential that you consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, dysplasia, PCOS and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes'. Aerobic exercise done on a daily basis for 30 or more minutes can help weight loss and to stabilise your blood sugar and insulin levels, so do try and be as active as possible (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life).