Question
Posted by: Monique | 2004/10/18

Weight

After giving birth to a little boy 4years ago I have gained 25kg. I would like to have another baby, but worried about weight. I have joined with a personal trainer 3 times a week, but worry that it might take too long to lose this weight before I can fall pregnant.
I now weigh 85.9kg height 1.7m, if I fall pregnant now is it safe or should i wait and try and lose weight, if so how much.

Dear Monique
Seeing that your present BMI = 30, which indicates obesity, I would recommend that you do try to lose some weight before you fall pregnant again. If you could just get back down to 72 kg your BMI would be back in the normal range and this would make your pregnancy so much easier. This would entail a weight loss of 14 kg, which you can lose in 14 weeks or 3,5 months, which is not too long to wait. Combine the exercise with a low-fat, high-fibre diet and you may lose even more rapidly. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss' , ‘The right approach' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of a such a diet.