Question
Posted by: lyn | 2003/02/25

weight

i recently went for an assessment at my gym..they worked out that my height was 1.79m and i weigh 62.they worked out that my body fat percentage is 18% but they failed to explain this all to me please can you try help me and explain they all suggested that i could loose 0.5 kgs

Dear Lyn
Because I cannot measure your body fat percentage over the internet, I can only work out your BMI which is used as an indicator of fatness - the normal range is 18-25. At present your BMI = 19,4, which is just above the lower limit. I would, therefore, not advise you to even try to lose that 0,5 kg, otherwise you will start being underweight which can have negative effects on your health. Your body fat percentage is perfectly normal and even lower than the average for women of 24%, so all I can suggest is that you do exercise which does NOT make you lose more weight, to get fit