Question
Posted by: Lau | 2003/03/06

Weighless and Exercise

HI there Dietdoc!

First of all I would like to thank you for providing such a useful, informative service!

Secondly I would like to ask you a question(s) concerning weighloss and exercise.

Last Saturday (March 1) I joined Weighless, because although I am not fat, I have excess weight that I can afford to loose and I would feel better without. At Weighless I weighed in at 71.4kgs and they measured my height at 1.74m. I am 20 years old and I would assume that I have a low percentage of muscle. The ladies at Weighless recommended my goal weight be set at 65 kgs - so I have 6.4kgs to loose in total - I believe I have lost over a kg already this week.

What I'd like to ask you is: how much could I expect to loose if I start jogging for 20 mins a day at a pace at which I build up a mild sweat? Also, if I feel like an extra carbohydrate serving for example, can I have it without "breaking my diet" if I commit to doing that little bit more exercise, to burn it off? Finally, is water really THAT essential to weight-loss in the Weighless diet?

Thanks so much for your time!

Lauren

Dear Lau
Good for you that you have joined Weighless and already lost that kg! At this stage, I would not recommend that you have extra servings of anything - stick to the diet for 6 weeks and let's see how you do. The role of exercise is very complex and it can contribute to weight loss because of the following factors: a) you do burn kilojoules, but the effect is greater than the kJ you burn! b) it increases your basic metabolic rate for up to 24 hours after you have exercised, so that you go on burning kJs c) research has shown that people who exercise are more inclined to stick to their diets than those who don't exercise d) it firms you up and start building muscle tissue, e) it makes you feel more positive and counteracts depression which can hamper weight loss - the list goes on and on. So start that jogging and keep it up.
Thank you for your kind words about this service, it makes it all worthwhile.