Question
Posted by: Peter | 2006/04/05

weght/muscle gainer

My son is 6 years old, he is a healthy boy who almost never gets sick. But he is underweight. He takes a multivitamin from "SUPERSTAR" range and Ive recently put him on Peadisure drink. He has a good appetite but the Dr says he does not gain weight cos he uses alot of energy as he is mild CP and it is more difficult for him to move around than for a normal child. Is there anything else I can give him to gain some weight and muscle. He has very skinny legs which is my main reason for concern.

Dear Peter
If you lad is eating well and is otherwise healthy it may be a good idea to just increase the energy content of the snacks he eats (peanut butter with wholewheat bread, dried fruit and nuts, cheese, full-cream milk or yoghurt, etc) to increase his energy intake. He is still very young to develop big muscles. Wait until he is older and when his natural activity will develop them more fully. Discuss the possibility of occupational therapy with your Paediatrician as many of the exercises used in OT will also develop muscles and can also help for the CP.