Question
Posted by: Frustrated | 2005/01/10

Weekend Binges

I am currently happy with my weight, you might even say I am underweight as I have a BMI of 17,7 but I eat healthy to maintain this weight. During the week I excercise every day for about an hour and 15min and due to my work I only manage to consume about 900cal. My food options are extremely healthy and my fat intake minimal. My problem comes in on the weekends when I do little excercise except an early morning walk for about 45min on Sunday and my shopping rounds! I also tend to eat alot more of the unhealthy options like pizza and take-outs. I also save my cravings for chocolate for the weekends. My calorie intake on the weekends usually sits at 1600cal. I can't help but feel guilty about this huge increase. I am also stuck in such a rut that this has become a weekly habit. Please will you advise what the consequences of these habits will be on my weight. Will these binges screw up my metabolism and result in weight increase?

Many thanks for all your advise. It always helps

Dear Frustrated
If your BMI = 17,7 and you are exercising so strenuously, then you should urgently be eating those 1600 cal every day, not just on weekends. You need to have a BMI of 22 to have an ideal weight. Stop feeling guilty about the weekends and start feeling guilty about starving yourself to the brink of anorexia during the week. Please be sensible and stop this agonising about eating, exercise and weight - those are the classic symptoms of anorexia - so start enjoying life, relax and eat more during the week.
Take great care