Question
Posted by: Savannah | 2007/05/01

WEEK 15 : Update Gastric Bypass Operatio

Hi Doc,

We moved house over the weekend and needless to say, I got some hefty exercise with it. I also did not eat all my meals as we were so busy cleaning and unpacking.
This morning I got on the scale and I was down another 2kg – Total lost = 23kg.

I want to sing and dance and tell everyone about my success. From today, back on my regular meals. I am definitely contemplating going to the gym to start with some cycling and maybe some pilates to stretch my muscles a bit. I feel that with some additional mild exercise I can loose a bit more and tone at the same time.

It is so strange in the past I would not even think of going to the gym because I felt so embarrassed about my size, and now I just can’t wait to join. I definitely want to loose another 20kg or so in time for the summer when, for the first time in more than 18 years, I will be able to walk around in something other than huge tents on the beach!

I will be joining next week, and will let you know how it went.

Doc, do I have to tell the instructors about the operation? I can’t really do anything hectic and thought that I will just start the program by myself, cycling and maybe some rowing and then later move on to pilates. Is this a good idea or should I take one of them in my confidence?

*Hugs*

Dear Savannah
I really look forward to reading about your progress every week and am so thrilled about the 23 kg you have lost so far - it's wonderful! Before you join a gym, I would recommend that you first check with the surgeon who did the op - ask him a) are you allowed to exercise, b) when may you start, c) what type of exercises may you do and which ones you need to avoid. We don't want you to do any physical damage at this stage of your recovery, so ask him every detail. If the dr gives the go-ahead then you MUST tell the instructor at the gym what the dr has said and what type of op you have had. You may initially only be allowed to do certain exercises and for short periods. Approach the exercise part of your weight loss regimen as carefully as you are doing the eating, - we don't want any setbacks, only wonderful progress.