Question
Posted by: Kam | 2004/10/18

Weeing in the house and on people!

I have a Mini Toy Pom (male) who's 11 months old. He is outside for the day, but as soon as he comes inside, he wees in the house - in front of me - almost in defiance! He also wees on whoever is petting him or holding him. It's becoming embarrassing. What can I do to curb this behaviour?

Also, he is becoming very aggressive over his mate (6 months old). We cannot touch her and he charges for my husband or I - why is he doing this? Advice will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Kam
This is a complex problem that is best dealt with in a porper consultation with an animal behaviourist (www.animal-behaviour.org.za), but it seems your toy pom male needs to be castrated as he is marking his territory. As it seems you want to breed the dogs, castrating him may not be an option. This behaviour may also be caused in part by his wanting the attention that the younger one is getting (jealousy) and partly due to his being an entire male - testosterone levels are high at this age. Is the female on heat? If so, this may be a reason for his possessiveness. Sometimes urinating is a sign of submission, so be careful how you deal with the weeing as he may be doing it as a sign of respect. Without more information and observing the dogs it is hard to answer your questions.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST

11
Posted by: Acineth | 2004/10/21

Toddles

You are right - any time the dog does something the owner could have prevented the owner should be thrashed.

Reply to Acineth
Posted by: Toddles | 2004/10/21

Ok perhaps termination was a bit over the top .. what about a good old fashioned thrashing then!

Reply to Toddles
Posted by: Carol | 2004/10/19

I totaly agree with acineth and pi .. shall we use JRT's as an example ??? little hellions they are !!!

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Pi | 2004/10/19

Definitely dominance Kam. And the smaller the dog the worse us humans make it. I have a little miniature pinscher and she is the boss of the house. I've sort of got to a point where we agree I am in charge but she will try me regularly. We are actually seeing an animal shrink next week because I figured out she has too much responsibility. She has to constantly guard me, chase the cat away, protect everything that's mine (hers). The problem is that we pamper them to death and they see that as submissive behaviour. You will have to withdraw with attention, kick him off the couch, off the bed, don't pick him up, pet him when you feel like it, not when he demands it. Ignore him when he wees in the house, but when he does it outside, shower him with lots of praise.

My behaviour towards my big dobermans are totally the opposite than with the min pin. And they have no dominance issues. They know where they stand with me, on the other hand, she accepts under duress that I am exerting my dominance over her. So by seeing the behaviourist next week she is probably going to tell me to change my behaviour. I will tell you next week what I've learnt. I will hopefully also learn how to relieve the little min pin of her self taken on responsibilities. I can after all look after myself.

Reply to Pi
Posted by: Acineth | 2004/10/19

Hi Chill

I have a male rottie so I understand dominance very well. I had wanted one for years before I actually got one and had read everything I could find.

The problem with little dogs is that people don't realise they can have dominance problems and allow them to get away with so much more. Once the problem is there it takes time to sort out because the dog is used to being the boss and doesn't want to give it up.

Reply to Acineth
Posted by: Chill | 2004/10/19

I must say I laughed heartily at Toddles's remark.

Why is it that so few people have any real sense of humour? Lighten up... or would that be politically incorrect?

As regards the dog: He thinks he's the boss. Until you convince him he isn't, he's going to call the shots. It's all up to you - be assertive!

Acineth: what you're saying is quite correct, except for one thing. I bet if this was my dog, or your dog, the problem would be resolved surprisingly quickly. It's all about understanding what makes them tick, and behaving accordingly. Don't allow him to get away with it!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Acineth | 2004/10/18

Kam

His reverting is believe it or not a natural behaviour. When you are trying to change a dog's behaviour they will try the old behaviour to see if your response is consistant, and at times the behaviour you are trying to extinguish will become worse until it extinguishes. Its the same as a person repeatedly pressing the button for the lift.

This problem is not going to be solved quickly. If you do all the things that re-inforce your dominance consistently, eventually the penny will drop. He will occasionally check back to make sure though. Also, he is at the age when dogs, regardless of breed, are passing from puppy to adult stage and will try to gain a better position in the pack.

Reply to Acineth
Posted by: El | 2004/10/18

Well said Kam about Toddles!!!

Reply to El
Posted by: Kam | 2004/10/18

Acineth,

Thank you for the advice. I have tried the suggested ignoring and not allowing him in the house - which has worked a few days, but he then gets all comfy with the situation and he starts again with his antics. But, thank you for the advice.

Toodles: YOU are a vile creature! Maybe some one should terminate you. Useless moron!

Reply to Kam
Posted by: Acineth | 2004/10/18

Your little man has dominance issues. He thinks he dominates his people, the other dog and everyone he meets. I suggest a short period of basic obedience training to set him straight. Also, try revoking his lap sitting priviledges and if possible his furtniure access. Anything that elevates him will make him think he is dominant. Don't feed him until the people have eaten and he has seen them eat.

You can also do a search on this site for previous advise given for this problem.

Reply to Acineth
Posted by: Toddles | 2004/10/18

Sounds like a vile little dog. Suggest termination.

Reply to Toddles