Question
Posted by: crusty | 2004/11/02

Weeing doggie with emotions

Please help. I have a puppy who is not so much a puppy anymore and she wees when she is happy, when she is sad, when she is scared. She wees anywhere. What could be causing this nervous reaction.

Hi crusty
Without knowing more and seeing her behaviour it is difficult to answer this question. Many dogs urinate as a submissive gesture and this may be caused by too rough handling, shouting or punishment by an owner or previous owner. Some dogs are just more sensitive and need to be more gently handled to build their confidence. Feeling sorry for her is not going to help, so try to build her up by being confident with her, handling her firmly, brushing her every day and taking her out for walks and to meet people and dogs. Never reprimand her or punish her for urinating, but rather just turn away and avoid eye contact if she looks as if she may wee.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST

3
Posted by: Doglover | 2004/11/10

I've got a 5 year old "Worsie" that has the same problem - especially when she greets us, she will lie on her back and have no control over her bladder. It helps to try and ignore her for a minute or to take her outside immediately.

Reply to Doglover
Posted by: Acineth | 2004/11/04

I had a dog who started doing this after being fixed. It was caused by being fixed, but treatable with medication. Perhaps your mom could speak to her ver about it?

Reply to Acineth
Posted by: TWINKLE | 2004/11/03

My dog had the same problem, but i'm glad 2 say after just over a year she out grew the bad habit. My mom's dog is 4 years old and fixed, sadly she picked up the bad habit. Some dogs just don't have control over their bladder, for some reason. I think it's like a nervous reaction. Just give it some time. Good luck!

Reply to TWINKLE