Question
Posted by: Ana | 2004/11/30

Weed / dagga / mary-jane...

doc,
I am 21 years old abd have been smoking doob on and off for about 4 years... i'm not sure that i want to stop but i would like to know what the long term harmful effects to my body and mind are. I gym 5-6 times a week and am reasonably healthy. I smoke almost every night and frankly it just helps me relax after a hectic day and i sleep soundly at night. There must be something bad it's doing to me? I never mix it with any type of hard drug and it's purely for relaxing purposes and it makes me feel good - nothing else...
Can you please advise me on the dangers and any info i should know.
Thank You!

If you check the archives of our forum, you'll find we've discussed this topic several times before, and you might find those discussions interesting. Firstly, apart from the cannabis-specific chemicals, it is SMOKING, and is at least as bad for your lungs and heart as smoking tobacco. Secondly, though a bit more controversial, the active cannabinoids and related chemicals can cause some problems. In people who have some susceptibility to a psychotic illness ( inherited or otherwise ) it can make them more vulnerable, possibly precipitating an illness they might otherwise have escaped ; and there is evidence that chronic high dose use, can be associated with an "amotivational syndrome" in which a person gets more and more dof and uncaring about themselves and pretty-well everything else. There are some other concerns about other possible ill-effects ( for instance on male fertility ) ; but they are less clear.
I don't use it, but I suspect that occasional light use, maybe not every night, may not be likely to cause significant problems.

2
Posted by: Rainbow | 2004/12/01

from personal experience, I wouldn't carry on the way I am if I were you.
Weed has an unfortunate way of altering a person's personality.
I've just seen it too many times, to deny that fact.
simple things, like trying to have a normal conversation with a person who has been smoking weed for ages, it becomes very difficult for the people around them, although they themselves are NOT AWARE ..

Reply to Rainbow
Posted by: PARIS | 2004/12/01

Alot of my friends have smoked weed for years - probably a joint a day or maybe two, basically for the same reasons you do. Today i cant speak to them. They have become slow and some what silly.

Maybe just cut down on the amount you are smoking. Keep it for the week ends.

Just a suggestion.

PARIS
XXX

Reply to PARIS