Question
Posted by: Debbie | 2008/06/13

Weaning off medication

I have started to come off my anti-depressants. I have been on Remeron for about a 1,5 years for anxiety. Last Monday I started 1 full tablet and the next day, 1/2 tablet. I can feel my anxiety is beginning to return as I have the same symptoms - short of breath, on edge, fidgety. What should I do? I dont want to stay on medication forever. Thanks.

You really need to discuss this with your doctor, who prescribes the Remeron ( and who, I hope, was the person advising you to come off the meds now ). He knows all the relevant details so as to advise you best. Return to your usual dose until you can discuss this with your doc

2
Posted by: Hope* | 2008/06/13

you have my sympathy Debbie - it can be very rough weaning off medication - hang in there.
Hope*

Reply to Hope*
Posted by: Kay | 2008/06/13

Hi Debbie
You're also going way too fast. The brain doesn't like sudden changes. Spend at least a week or two on a smaller dose and try to go down in smaller increments if you can, by breaking tablets or getting lower dose forms.
Also, you need to have some substitute mechanism for handling anxiety in place, eg relaxation, exercise or somesuch. And I agree with CS, do it with the knowledge of your doctor. He may also know better about ways of weaning off, to help you.
An Old Depressive

Reply to Kay