Question
Posted by: Charlie | 2005/07/11

Weaning off antidepressants

In Feb 05 i was weaned off Efexor 37.5 after 5 years. I am presently taking a natural supplemement. I still wake up feeling depressed. My mood is somber, I am tearful and unhappy, my husband thinks I am sabotaging our relationship but i receive very little physical attention as he is unemotionless. Am I the problem or is there a problem in our relationship that i am feeling this way? Is there a chemical imbalance affect that could be causing these feelings as it feels like I'm going crazy?

You are not "the problem" but it does sound as though you have a problem. There is no "natural" supplement which can cure or reduce a Depression, and it sounds as though you might still be significantly depressed --- only an assessment by a competent shrink ( not a GP ) could reliably check this, and consider what treatment might be useful, perhapsm CBT counselling, or a different antidepressant. A chemical imbalance certainly could cause the sort of feelings you descibe. But maybe apart from medicins, marriage counselling would be useful to work together on some of the deep problems within the relationship, to the benefit of both of you ?