Question
Posted by: Madie | 2008/06/07

Weak limb

Dr, my mother is a fit 64 yr old, healthy lady.....She went hiking on Thursday with her hiking group and while climbing a mountain her right lower leg became 'heavy'...Later she couldn't put weight on her right lower legg and they had to use a 4x4 to get her out of the mountain and to hospital....She has only slight sensation in her right foot, no reflex and poor muscle tone....She says that it feels like pins and needles all the time. It hurts above her right knee (where she had a knee operation as a teenager) and she is experiencing pain in her right hip and lower back. They did a scan of her whole back and brain....Nothing could be found, so far (No signs of a stroke either). She had some lower back and hip pain for the last year and her right lower legg felt limp the last month(sometimes). She complained of musscles aches on Wednessday...They will be starting more tests on Monday, because 2 orthopedics(?) said they don't know what is going on...They live in Kleinmond.....What's your opinion on this situation? Where do we start and what type of specialist would be best? Thanx

Expert ImageHandicap Expert

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

It sounds like nerve pain/nerve inpinchment and I therefore, recommend that she consults a neurologist. It sounds like a complex condition and has to be assessed by a neurologist. Dr Small-Smith is a neurologist at the Vergelegen Medi-Clinic in Somerset West and can be contacted on 021-850 9000.

Kind regards

1
Posted by: dol | 2008/09/26

I have muscle weakness mainly my shoulder.biceps,triceps,chess and breakelplexes all on the right side(neuron problem)I did consult a neorologist weve done test namely(MRI,EMG,BLOOD and strenght test)MRI IS CLEAR I am starting to get very strong pains in my chess, arms and my grip is weak (not on medication) 4yrs and no improvement but stable.(Pretoria Academic Hospital)
Please advice on second opinion

Reply to dol