Question
Posted by: Barries | 2008/08/04

We want a baby girl

My husband and I already have two sons &  we love them very dearly. We are concidering to have a third child, but we both really want a girl. Everyone keeps telling me that it is impossible to plan something like this.
Are there ways of trying to have girl...?

Dear Barries

It is certainly possible to do gender selection with fairly high probability of success should a pregnancy be established. This is accomplished through invitro fertilization and pre-genetic diagnosis of each embryo for the appropriate sex. Only embryos with the desired sex would then be transferred into the uterus and should a pregnancy occur, then the likelihood of success is extremely high. However, due to ethical reasons, most fertility clinics worldwide would not encourage this practice. The alternate method of sperm separation by centrifugation is highly unreliable and should not be considered as a first choice.

Answered by: Dr. M.I. Cassim