Posted by: Jan | 2008/08/12

My WBC has been running on the low side for the past several blood draws. My physician said that she doesn' t worry unless one of the other tests also runs low. She did say that if my test is low next time...three months from now...she' s going to refer me to another physician for further tests...she didn' t mention the kind of tests...would you have any suggestions as to what follow-up tests she may have in mind should they be necessary?

Thank you.

Hallo Jan
Usually if we suspect a problem with red or white blood cells or platelets and we can't find the reason in the blood, the next step would be to take a sample of the bone marrow - usually in the breastbone or the hip bone to see if there is a problem with bone marrow making cells. They also may draw bloods to exclude certain infections and nutritional deficiencies, and may do a sonar of the spleen.

Low white cell counts can be caused by chemotherapy, radiation therapy, leukemia, myelofibrosis and aplastic anemia. Some medications can cause leukopenia - usually immunosuppressive drugs used for auto-immune diseases. Some common infections can also cause low white cells: Influenza, systemic lupus erythematosus, typhus, malaria, HIV, tuberculosis, Dengue fever, Tick bite fever. Enlargement of the spleen can cause premature breakdown of white cells. Certain nutritional shortages can also cause a low white cell count: vit B6 , copper and zinc.

Posted by: Pule | 2008/08/28

ja man go back and get more tests .

Reply to Pule
Posted by: Jan | 2008/08/14

Thank you Dr. Bets.

Guess I' ll have to wait til my next appointment to find out what is going on.

Reply to Jan
Posted by: Jan | 2008/08/14

WBC stands for White Blood Cells.

Reply to Jan
Posted by: Zexeon | 2008/08/12

If I may ask what is WBC?

Reply to Zexeon