Posted by: verb | 2008/07/20

way over max heartrate

I' m a 50yr old male and use 1/2 tab Cozaar for hypertension. I went cycling this morning, and after 20km had a quick bubbly feeling in my chest, and a slight dizziness(also only 5 seconds) My heartrate however registered 230-240. I was not out of breath or anything and still felt good. I cycled back home slowly and checked my HR with a bloodpressure monitor after a slight rest (+/- 5min) It was at 166. BP was 110/75. I' m reasonably fit, gym 3x per week and cycle over weekends. Resting HR is normally +/-65. Is this something I should worry about? HR is now 88, 10 hours later.

Thank you for visiting

I suggest that you consult a cardiologist, in order to have a stress ECG done, to exclude any form of cardio-vascular disease. In the light of your hypertension and the symptoms you experienced while cycling, it is important to have this test done as soon as possible. From your heartrates, I conclude that you are fit but you have to remember to remain below your target heartrate for your age, which is about 160 to 170 beats per minute.

Kind regards