Question
Posted by: Ren | 2007/05/10

"wax" in cat's ears

My cat constantly has a brown substance in her ears. Sometimes it leaks out slightly or she scratches hard pieces out. My vet mentioned in passing at her last check up that it looked like a reaction to an allergy but did not give her anything for it. She sneezes now and then but eats and plays normally. Should I be doing something about the ears?

Does she shake her head a lot or just scratch at the ears periodically. The discharge can be normal "wax" but is also associated with ear mites that need a specific drop treatment.

2
Posted by: Ren | 2007/05/11

Took kitty to the vet today. She did have a bad case of ear mites. She was sedated, had her ears flushed and came home this afternoon. What causes ear mite infestation?

Reply to Ren
Posted by: ren | 2007/05/11

She does shake her head. Would the vet not have been able to see ear mites when he looked in it, though?

Reply to ren