Question
Posted by: Mike | 2003/12/04

Watermelon

My breakfast usually consists of two eggs and toast or pro-nutro with protein shake. With this I almost always have 2 or 3 pieces of watermelon. And after supper if I feel peckish I have another couple of pieces of watermelon. In summer time there is always watermelon in my house and I snack on it all the time. Especially on weekends. Does watermelon have a lot of calories? Is it nutritious? Should I rather go for something like an apple if still hungry after supper? I just always thought that watermelon is mostly water so it makes me feel fuller with fewer calories.

Dear Mike
Watermelon is low in energy (about 32 kcal per 100g), but you need to ensure that you don't eat too much. A big slice could weigh 200 g, thus you would be ingesting 64 kcal at a time and if this is repeated too often, the energy could mount up. So just be moderate in your intake. From a nutritional point of view, watermelon does not contain large quantities of nutrients, except some potassium and a small amount of vitamin C.