Question
Posted by: Mike | 2003/12/04

Watermelon

My breakfast usually consists of two eggs and toast or pro-nutro with protein shake. With this I almost always have 2 or 3 pieces of watermelon. And after supper if I feel peckish I have another couple of pieces of watermelon. In summer time there is always watermelon in my house and I snack on it all the time. Especially on weekends. Does watermelon have a lot of calories? Is it nutritious? Should I rather go for something like an apple if still hungry after supper? I just always thought that watermelon is mostly water so it makes me feel fuller with fewer calories.

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Mike,

Watermelon has one of the highest glycemic indices of all fruit. It is so high that the GI Foundation gives it a red coding. This means that it gives a very high insulin response and is easily stored as the body has a "sugar overload" followed by a sugar low as the insulin takes the carbohydrate into the cells. Watermelon is nutritious in that it has all the nutrients fruit normally contain, especially vitamin c. However the high GI must be watched.

An apple on the other hand is low glycemic and should make you feel full longer as it has good fibres.

1
Posted by: Bloubul | 2003/12/05

Mike,
1 cup of watermelon:calories: 50. The problem I have with watermelon is it has a very high GI, according to my list 72.

Gert de Lange
Personal Trainer

Reply to Bloubul