Question
Posted by: water baby | 2005/12/05

water retention

I've been retaining water - got totally bloated and about 4 years ago a friend told me to use Adco-retic - I did and it solved the problem. I've been on this tablet without my doc knowing (not a sick person so don't see him much) for 4-5 years.
Is this good for me?
I don't drink much water either.

Dear Waterbaby,
Please just tell your doc the next time you see him - he won't bite your head off! Adcoretic is just a diuretic tablet that forces your kidneys to excrete more water but in the process you can lose important salts like Potassium and Natrium too. This can cause heart arrythmias. It can also make your bloodpressure go a bit low and can give you cramps in your muscles, but otherwise should not give you any side effects. However, you must drink at least 8 glasses of water/fluid each day. The more you drink, the less your body would want to keep in because I am sure that he/she thinks that you are living in a desert!
If you go to your doctor, ask him to just test your electrolytes ( that is the Potassium and Natrium) to ensure that you don't damage your heart. I hope you are just taking 1 a day....

3
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/09/15

my friend has adviced me to use adco in order to loose wsit. Is it safe. She said I must take 1 tab a day

Posted by: Sylvia | 2014/02/26

I have aslo been using Adco Retic for water retention and have developed heart arrythmias due my sodium levels which has dropped. What can I do to rectify this and is it a cause for concern?

Reply to Sylvia
Posted by: Water Baby | 2005/12/06

Thank you so much. Yes I'm only taking one a day. I think my problem also lies with the fact that I don't drink water, don't like the taste - but I do drink sparkling water sometimes and will try and do that now everyday and get my 8 glasses that way. I'm will make a doc appointment later this month. What do you think of Buchu - is that a better alternative and will it work as efficiently?

Reply to Water Baby