Question
Posted by: Pootie | 2004/11/25

Water retention?

Good Day!
I've seem to blow up like a balloon in just a couple of days! I've gained about 3kg in 3days! I take the Vital B Complex and Centrum every morning, drink 1-2.5 litres of water p/d as well as tea etc. No take-aways! Little to no sweets. Lots of Fruit, veggies, oats, chicken, bread, cheese etc. This is my normal diet. I've never experienced this before, not even my jewellry fits on my fingers! I did the 94.7 cycle challenge this year, which was a first (not sure if my body is in shock!), and try to do exercise every morning and am moderately fit. I'm not on hormonal medication. I'm 26. I used to be on the three month contraceptive injections (only took them twice and stopped in November last year because of weight gain) and since november last year, I have not menstruated (which I'm actually perfectly happy about!). I've not changed my diet or routine, but do get very hot and sweaty during the day (thank goodness for aircon!). My skin feels to tight for my hands! Any advice from the experts?

Thanks,
Pootie

Dear Pootie
I think it would be advisable for you to have a medical checkup because this type of symptom could be associated with a wide variety of conditions (kidney problems, hormone imbalances, etc). So have a checkup and once we have a diagnosis we can see if you need to make dietary changes.

1
Posted by: Pootie | 2004/12/02

Good Day,

I went for a checkup and my liver, kidneys, thyroid gland and blood sugar was tested. It seems all is working 100% which is great news! I was given water tablets which helps. I'm still a bit swolen but it gets better during the day. I can't keep using water tablets everyday, can I? I was told it may also be from the heat. I sit in an airconditioned office the whole day. Also, I was told, I may have hurt myself with the cycle race and now there may be blood in my tissue which causes swelling etc. etc. But that was 2 weeks ago. Do you think it is necessary to change my diet?

Thanks,
Pootie

Reply to Pootie