Question
Posted by: Mrs. Flintstone | 2003/01/29

Water retension

I often experience water retension at which time my lower legs, ankles and feet will swell. My thyroid was removed years ago and I am on eltroxin. I sometimes use amiloretic. My water intake is between 2l and 3 l a day. I cycle 40min 3 times a week. My question is, when I experience water retension I have noticed that my left leg and ankle is visibly more swollen that my right leg. Is this something I should worry about?

Mrs. F, it’s probably nothing, but it might be that there is a problem with the blood flow in your left leg due to varicose veins for example. The best would be to have your doctor check it and while he’s at it, have him check your blood pressure and kidney functions too. Good luck.