Question
Posted by: sip | 2005/05/27

Water in the brain

I have been having this serius headaches that sometimes causes me to black outs. I had a CT scan done and they foun out that i have water in my letf back brain. Is it the sinus that caused this and what can be done.

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear sip,

Water on the brain can be caused by a number of conditions, some of which, like certain types of cyst, often don’t need treatment. If it is one of these cysts though, then it is unlikely to cause headaches and blackouts. Other conditions that cause water on the brain may need treatment to relieve the pressure. We would need to know whether your doctors have recommended treatment, and if so, what treatment was suggested. Please send me the information on e-mail drshevel@headclin.co.za

With regard to the sinuses being the cause of the problem, this is highly unlikely.

Please also bear in mind the fact that the headache and blackouts may be being caused by some other problem, so it is essential that you see a specialist such as a Neurosurgeon. If you haven’t seen one, ask your doctor to refer you to one for an opinion.

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic on 0861 678 911.