Posted by: Maggie | 2004/01/21

Water Birth

I know this is a silly question but I need to know with a water birth do you get painkillers or Epidural? I have a friend who really wants to have her birth this way but we cant find much information on it. Any help would be great
Thank you

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageGynaeDoc

You cannot have an epidural if you are in the water. The usual painkillers like morphine would also be difficult to give, as monitoring would be necessary. A water birth is really for those women who want everything naturally.

Best wishes

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Purple | 2004/01/22

As Kate says, you can be given entinox if you're having a water birth. I think you can also be given pethidene.

You can't be given an epidural. This is mainly because if they need to do an emergency ceasarian, and you're in the water with numb legs, they can't lift you out. Its a safety precaution.

Your friend can labour in water and then get out if she decides she wants an epidural.

There are a few hospitals in the area that offer water births. Most hospitals let you do a tour of their facilities, which means that your friend would be able to choose the hospital that she felt was best. As Kate says, Linkwood offers water births, so does Sandton Clinic, and I think that Carstenhof do as well.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Kate | 2004/01/21

I would imagine that you wouldn't have an epidural with a water birth as the use of your legs is probably necessary.

You could be given entinox which is like happy gas (I think).

Linkwood have a water birth facility, maybe your friend should go and see the hospital and speak to the midwives there.

Reply to Kate

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.