Question
Posted by: Maggie | 2004/01/21

Water Birth

I know this is a silly question but I need to know with a water birth do you get painkillers or Epidural? I have a friend who really wants to have her birth this way but we cant find much information on it. Any help would be great

You cannot have an epidural if you are in the water. The usual painkillers like morphine would also be difficult to give, as monitoring would be necessary. A water birth is really for those women who want everything naturally.

2
Posted by: Purple | 2004/01/22

As Kate says, you can be given entinox if you're having a water birth. I think you can also be given pethidene.

You can't be given an epidural. This is mainly because if they need to do an emergency ceasarian, and you're in the water with numb legs, they can't lift you out. Its a safety precaution.

Your friend can labour in water and then get out if she decides she wants an epidural.

There are a few hospitals in the area that offer water births. Most hospitals let you do a tour of their facilities, which means that your friend would be able to choose the hospital that she felt was best. As Kate says, Linkwood offers water births, so does Sandton Clinic, and I think that Carstenhof do as well.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Kate | 2004/01/21

I would imagine that you wouldn't have an epidural with a water birth as the use of your legs is probably necessary.

You could be given entinox which is like happy gas (I think).

Linkwood have a water birth facility, maybe your friend should go and see the hospital and speak to the midwives there.

Reply to Kate