Question
Posted by: s | 2008/02/04

Water

What is the recommended volume of water that one should drink in a day ? as it must be linked to body weight.
I weight 100kg & my girlfriend 52kg but we both drink 2 litres a day - should I be drinking more ?
I also presume the volume drunk excludes water you drink when you train.

Dear S
Basically adults require 2,5 litres of LIQUID (water, coffee, tea, milk, fruit juice, cold drinks, etc) a day. If it is very hot or if you engage in very strenuous exercise then you can increase your liquid intake slightly as governed by thirst. According to Prof Tim Noakes most athletes drink too much water and induce water intoxication.