Question
Posted by: Lucy | 2008/02/03

Water

I drink Woolies Sparkling Spring Water:

Nutrition Information per 100ml:
Energy: 70kj
Protein: 0g
Carbo: 4.3g
Total Fat: 0g
Total Dietary Fibre 0g
Sodium 36mg

It is ok to have? I'm a coke addict (soft drink not drug) and this seems to be the only thing that's keeping me off it!

Please let me know if it's better than coke... and if trying to loose weight, ok to have on a daily basis.

THANKS

Dear Lucy
The Woolies Sparkling Spring Water seems to have a low energy content - a 300 ml glass will provide 210 kJ which equals 3,3% of your daily energy intake when you are on a slimming diet and ingesting 6300 kJ per day. According to the SA Food Tables standard carbonated beverages like coke contain approx. 167 kJ per 100 ml thus for every 100 ml of the Sparkling Spring Water you drink instead of 100 ml of coke you 'save' approx. 100 kJ. Just keep in mind that if you start drinking litres of this Sparkling Spring water that you will also push up your energy intake - 1 litre contains 700 kJ which could make quite a difference to your energy intake. If you can't stick to only 1 glass a day, consider drinking Coke Light that is sweetened artificially and contains practically no energy.