Posted by: stormy | 2008/11/25

wat shoul my weight be?

hi doc im 20 years old and 1.74 m tall i weigh 119kg wat should my ideal weight be and how do i go abt loosing weight? its my new years resolution

many thanks

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Stormy
Your present BMI = 39,3 which is very, very high. To get back into the normal range with a BMI of 25 you would need to weigh 75 kg, thus you need to lose 44 kg. Now this is a massive amount of weight to lose and I would recommend 4 things: a) Have a medical checkup to see if you suffer from conditions such as underactive thyroid or insulin resistance which the dr will have to treat for you. When you see the dr, discuss the use of Xenical with him or her. Xenical can help you to start losing. It is used together with a very-low-fat diet which will reduce your energy intake and promote weightloss. b) Consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), either for a very-low-fat diet if you use Xenical or a low-fat, low-glycaemic index (GI) diet if you have insulin resistance. The dietitian will assist you with your weightloss. c) If you find that you are not losing weight with these regimens then I would recommend that you contact the Bariatric Centres of Excellence in regard to having a gastric bypass to assist weightloss. You can contact Jana Derksen at the Call Centre for the Netcare Bariatric Centres of Excellence on 0861-623-7489 or contact her at: or call her on her cell phone at: 072-373-0155 or visit their Website at to discuss this option if you have a great deal of weight to lose. d) As you start losing weight and get more mobile, include 30 min of exercise each day - for example, going for walks. Increase how fast and far you walk as you get fitter. Exercise is excellent for promoting weightloss.
Good luck with your new year resolutions

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: M or F | 2008/11/25

Dietdoc is goging to answer you later tonight. Meanwhile you can " click"  fon " fitnessdoc"  on left of this page. Then BMI Calculator. Sorry my girl you are little over w.
Ask me it is hard work!! My age (59) is against me.
I like eating. Drink some wine, diabetes 2. I live in the cape winelands and I must stop drinking.
Good luck

Reply to M or F
Posted by: stormy | 2008/11/25


Reply to stormy
Posted by: m or F | 2008/11/25

Male or female?

Reply to m or F

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.