Question
Posted by: Justin | 2005/07/25

Was this panic?

I just started my first job and in the fall I'll be starting college and maybe it's getting to be too much for me. Today I was driving my "boss's" car to deliver somethign and it was cranking and I jsut broke down and started cry and I trie dto call my mom and tell her, but I could barely talk right. Then I was gasping for air and felt like I couldn't breathe. When my mom got there I just fumbled tryin gto unlock the door and eventually got out but I felt a little numb and like I was going to fall over. I still cried and was gasping for a while after that. I've never gasped for breath like that even when I've cried. Was this some sort of anxiety or panic attack or was it jsut time for me to release some of this - I havn'et cried like that in years. Thank you for your help.

-Justin

Hello Justin,
Well, from your description, this could have been a panic attack or some similar form of anxiety attack, but your other explanation sounds good, too. You were anxious about having a major poblem with your boss's car, started worring about what might go wrong, what could happen, and panicked. PRobably this became an occasion to open up al, the other hurts and fears you haven't taken the time to feel to dispose of, as you say, and you released / discharged all those bad feelings --- you may find you're feeling rather better today. Consider, weither before, or at least AT college, making arangements to see a counsellor for a time, so you can clear up any other unfinished business on your agenda, and become a bit more skilled at dealing with these issues as they arise, rathetr than bottling them up.

1
Posted by: Dyl | 2005/07/26

Hi Justin, we all need to let go now and then, but this sounds pretty serious, has this happened before? it could be once off thing, but i think you should go see a doctor. maybe you should talk to someone if you are feeling that work and college is getting too much for you. you don't say how old you are, but by the description you sound about 18-20. your college should have a councellor that can give you some advice. if it happens again - seek help ASAP. in the mean time, take a step back, take a deep breath and chill.

good luck with work and acollege,

dyl

Reply to Dyl