Question
Posted by: Shelby | 2007/11/29

Was this depression?

Hello,

I breast feed my baby for 6 months and he drank mostly every hour. Needless to say I did not get much sleep. I started hallucinating, seeing odd shapes and the devil sitting by my bed. I also had old dreams coming back into my head, as flash backs, whilst sleeping and awake.

Do you think this was depression or just plain sleep deprivation?

Sheer exhaustion and lack of sleep can have effects such as you describe, and this is a more likely explanation than Depression. And of course a good way to check it is that after some days of good normal sleep, the symp[toms would go away if this was caused by sleep deprivation, and not if it were depression, even although you'd probably feel somewhat better anyway