Question
Posted by: Crampy | 2005/07/27

Was it just a very bad cramp... or what?

Dear Diet Doc,

Could you please advise re the following: Last night, about 10 minutes after finishing dinner, I experienced an extremely painful (and scarey) incident, which I can only describe as being a severe cramp in the abdomen. It started on my right hand side, sort of between the last rib and the top of my hip, and gradually intensified, moving across my stomach, toward the left and upper part of my stomach/chest. At the peak of this "cramp," I was perspiring, trembling and felt as if I were going to pass out. I could barely walk and was not able to stand completely upright or lay flat on my back, which I felt would've helped me as I was also having trouble exhaling. The pain eventually subsided 30 mins later, after I had taken a Disprin (nogal) and had laid down for a while. (I took the Disprin because, at the time, I thought I may be heading for a heart attack or something really bad.) Today I am fine again.

Could you please advise what you think the cause of this extremely painful "cramp" could be. I am sure it is not gynaecological. My dinner consisted of only roast chicken and mixed brocolli, cauliflower, carrots, beans & baby marrows. (Breakfast/lunch consisted of Provitas and cheese.) Please note that I always eat very slowly, plus I don't eat as much as I used to. I am 39, female.

Btw, my Mother ate exactly the same thing I did and she didn't have any kind of pain or reaction to the food. Neither of us experienced any diarrhea or nausea, either before or after eating or the day thereafter.

In the past, I used to eat chicken quite often and, for the last two/three years, have been experiencing similar symptoms whenever I eat chicken, but the cramps have never been as bad as it was last night.

Do you think I could have become allergic to chicken? If so, please advise what it is in chicken that causes the problem. As far as I know, I am allergic to only iodine and avocados. I know you don't believe in eating according to blood groups, but apparently there is something in chicken that does cause problems for people who are B+ (blood group), which I am.

Thank you for your time and any advice you can give me.

Dear Crampy
I would suggest that you have your gp give you a thorough checkup because this type of acute painful episode could be due to something very innocuous like wind (which could have been caused by the cruciferous vegetables you ate - broccoli and cauliflower) or something serious like gallstones (chicken skin is relatively fatty and could trigger a gall attack). Other non-diet related causes could be passing a kidney stone or a burst ovarian cyst. So please see the dr and have that checkup.
Take care

1
Posted by: Crampy | 2005/07/27

By the way, I am not overweight, and, in fact, I have lost some weight recently, without trying to do so, but it's not much.

Reply to Crampy