Question
Posted by: Norman | 2004/01/15

warm -up exercise

Hi-i am 35yrs young, the last 16yrs i have not been terrilby active (or fit). i am +- 7 kgs. overweight. I have started swimming 3 timesp/week and have recently takin to golfing!
Can/should i combine both and what tipe of warm up/streching should i do?
I currently have a 'stabing' pain in my right knee(inside) if i pick up something heavy or bend up and down. Am i over doing???
I need some guidance

Hi Norman

You can definitely combine the types of exercises - there's no limit if you have the desire!

For golf, I would say that a good set of stretches would be good before you tee off - here are two good sites with some stretches that you can try:

http://findalesson.com/stretching.htm

http://www.golfix.co.uk/wellbeing/fitness/stretch.htm

Now, for swimming, my advice would be to just do a couple of really, really easy laps to warmup before you start the main session.

As for the pain in the knee, it's impossible for me to say what the cause might be. Your best bet is to consult with a physician or specialist dealing in sports related injuries. Knee injuries can be complex and so you should have any problem accurately diagnosed in person by someone with expertise. I can of course not diagnose the nature of the problem, but there are many different conditions that can cause knee pain. Most often, it is related to muscle strength imbalances or inflexibility in the muscles of the upper leg. This can be corrected by a specific programme of stretching and strength work, and may also involve adjusting your biomechanics by means of orthotics or changing the shoes you run in. These are all best done by a specialist, and so I would advise you to consider a consultation with either a biokineticist or a sports injuries doctor