Question
Posted by: Lynn | 2007/05/14

Warfarin & Pregnancy

I am a Warfarin user because of Leiden Factor V and DVT's I am 31 years old and was told to leave the pill because of DVT's I fell pregnant on Warfarin and stopped using it 2 days before I was 6 weeks pregnant. I am in the process of gathering information on whether I can still have my baby and would just like to get feedback from you on this as well Gynaedoc.
Kind regards
L

Warfarin can cause fetal abnormalities and this should be detectable on ultrasound at 20 weeks. This is not always the case, so there is no reason not to continue with the pregnancy. If you have stopped the Warfarin it is important that you are on some form of anticoagulant as you would be at high risk for DVTs in pregnancy.