Question
Posted by: Driftwood | 2004/03/02

wanting to give up

At the moment I don't know what the point of life is....
I'm actually a mess inside my head... I get so irratated with myself and where I am in my life.
I'm 25 and I feel like everything is such an pathetic effort. I cannot take this "planned" methodical life anymore. I havn't even decided what I want to do with my life, where I want to go. I don't have a career because I don't feel like I could cope with one or being part of the system. I hate being part of the system. I've felt like this before and I nearly killed myself. The only thing that stopped me before it was too late was the love for my family... and thinking about it, my mother was never one to encourage all she did was remind me of the things I can't do..... I've tried picking myself up and going for it, but I just fail anyway.... what now.
Now I can feel this black cloud starting to close over my mind again and this time I don't know if I can clear them away.

Dear Driftwood,
It's hard when parents mistakenly remind us of all we can't do ( and which of us doesn't have many things we're not especially good at ) rather than reminding us of all the things we CAN do. Romantic Coach is right.
You need to see a shrink for a proper assessment of your state --- if there is a Depression, then it needs to be properly treated to rid you of the black clouds. And seeing a counsellor could help you not only to deal well with the negative thoughts you've got stuck in, but also to work on some vocational counselling, maybe even with some ehlpful testing, to clarify for you the many things you ARE good at, and your interests, so as to plan the sort of career that would suit you best.

1
Posted by: Romantic coach | 2004/03/02

Hey Driftwood, sorry to hear how you are feeling and it also doesn't help having people being negative around you. This is by no means a Romantic situation but I would like to comment.

You perhaps need to surround yourself with the right people, people who are positive and who have a purpose. You could join a church where there is usually immense support for people who are struggling, you may even want to consider joining a craft group, book clubs etc etc.

However, the step of getting professional help needs to be undertaken too. And it's nothing to be ashamed of. It's a brave step to identify that you need professional help. Somebody who will help you see that you ARE beautiful and that you are on this earth for a purpose. This is process and you'll need to be committed to finding solutions. And when you do, you'll be so glad that you stuck it out.

Please don't do anything silly. You have your family and although your other is negative, put up a sign in your house that says "This is a no put down zone" and encourage the those around you to UPLIFT, rather than to put down.

Stay as beautiful as you are. You have your whole life ahead of you. I want to leave you with 2 slogans:

1. SNIOP - Susceptible to the Negative Influnces of Other People. .................don't allow this.

2. Don't let other peoples opinions of you be your destiny........... and this is referring to your mother.

I really hope that you get this sorted out.

God bless

Reply to Romantic coach