Question
Posted by: Candice | 2005/06/17

Wanting a child

I have recently been diagnosed with insulin resistance. My glucose levels are very low at most times (3.5 -4.8). I am not on medication but have been following a strict balanced diet.I am not overweight. I am 25 years old.I have polycystic ovaries as well.What do i need to do to increase my chances of concieving and having a healthy baby. I have started trying to concieve about a week ago.

Candice, insulin resistance is part of polycystic ovary syndrome. Then you have to understand that on average it takes young couples 13,5 – 15 months to fall pregnant and that if you are over 40 it will take twice as long.
If the polycystic ovary syndrome is under control and you are ovulation, there should be too much of a problem as your weight and sugar level are under control. Your gynaecologist will be able to tell you whether you are ovulating or not, but here is some information on ovulation:
Daily measurements of basal body temperature have been used to monitor ovulation. A nadir in temperature suggests impending ovulation; an increase of >= 0.5° C characterizes the postovulatory period. However, this method is not reliable or accurate; at best, it can predict ovulation only within 2 days. Much more reliable are pelvic ultrasound monitoring of ovarian follicle diameter and ovulation predictor kits that detect an increase in urinary luteinizing hormone (LH) excretion 24 to 36 h before ovulation. Several other biochemical parameters can be used to determine if ovulation has occurred--eg, an elevation in serum progesterone (>= 4 ng/mL [>= 13 nmol/L]) or in one of its urinary metabolites, pregnanediol glucuronide.
The quality of ovulation can be evaluated by endometrial biopsy late in the luteal phase (10 to 12 days after ovulation). A delay of > 2 days in endometrial development (compared with subsequent onset of menses) suggests luteal phase deficiency (luteal insufficiency, luteal phase defect), in which the production or action of progesterone in the luteal phase is inadequate. For this diagnosis to be established, delay should occur in two menstrual cycles.
If you have more questions please post them as a new question to ensure that I receive them. Good luck.

1
Posted by: Candice | 2005/06/20

Thank you so much for your help Cyberdoc....it is much appreciated

Reply to Candice