Question
Posted by: Concern | 2005/11/21

Want to reduce alcohol consumption

The amount of alcohol consumption is sometimes getting the hand over the will of my husband. The effect of that changes him in to another person, acting, saying and doing things that he will under "normal" conditions not do. With the festive season in front of us I need to do something. Maybe to suppress the urge for having that next drink. I have read about "nalmefene". Can I get it over the counter. There must be something available on the market. Please advice.

Concern, nalmefene is used more for the prevention of severe symptoms associated with alcohol withdrawal. Acamprosate (Sobrial®) would be a better option. The bet would be to see your doctor and discuss it with him. Good luck.