Posted by: Chris | 2008/08/19

Want to Quit Smoking

I have been a passive smoker for more than 10 years now smoking 20 - 30 siggies a day. I have decided to quit. Knowing that there is no quick solution to this I would however appreciate any advise you or anyone else can give. Much appreciated!!

Hi Chris
See this article on how to stop smoking:,26646.asp
In the first week while you try not to smoke, try to avoid chocolates, coffee and alcohol as this increases the craving for smoking.
You may get flu symptoms, stomach symptoms or feel very irritated for the first week or so - just hang in there.

Posted by: Chris | 2008/08/20

Hi guys,
Thanks alot! Quit this morning but one thing I can say is - your mind is working overtime!!!!!

Reply to Chris
Posted by: Pieter | 2008/08/20

Well done on you ton, before you know it you will be on a year.
I must admit I am guilty of staying away at the Smoking cessation peer support, will see you there.

Reply to Pieter
Posted by: ILONA | 2008/08/19

Dear Chris

I tried other methods - chewing gum, patches etc, but they don' t work... not for me in any case. I went cold turkey on 10th May, it' s not fun, still have this horrible thing in me telling me that it is nice , but the thought of starting all over again with counting days, is enough to keep me motivated!!!! Today is day 101 for me. Go onto the Smoking cessation peer support. I can assure you, Pieter and I will be looking out for you. I don' t know what' s happened to the other quitters, whether they' ve quit quitting or not, but it just seems to be a few diehards. Success with your venture. It is worth it.

Reply to ILONA
Posted by: Pieter | 2008/08/19

Well done Chris in deciding to quit.

a Good way of quitting is Cold turkey.The first three days is the worse, and then it gets easier as the days past.Have water handy, and whenever you think of smoking, take a few sips, eat lots of fruit .Try and think of all the bad things about smoking ( headackes , bad breath, smelly clothes etc.)
Remember these 4 letters N T A P ( Never Take Another Puff)

Go and read some off the stories on this site Whyquit . com.

I quitted 16 months ago and never touched one again.I smoked for 20 years, Now I' m running 5 km every day.

Let me know about your progress.

Reply to Pieter