Question
Posted by: Julie | 2007/02/25

want to lose weight

I am 22 years old and weigh 75 and my height is 1.7m. I am trying to lose weight but finding it quite hard. I've been doing the circuit at a womans gym for a while, but its not really helping. What exercise should I be doing to lose weight and what diet could i follow, what foods should i avoid, etc? I have tried TLC, which just made me put on weight, then when I stopped I put on even more.

Dear Julie
Your present BMI = 26 which is just above the normal range. To get back into the normal range with a BMI of about 24, you need to lose 6 kg. If you would like to reduce to an ideal BMI of 22, then you would need to weigh 64 kg. To lose weight you need to basically change your lifestyle. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). All these exercises are aerobic which means they help to burn up energy and thus promote weight loss. Ask your instructor at the gym to give you more of these aerobic exercises instead of having you work with weights. Once you have lost the desired amount of weight you can do some firming up exercises with weights.